Well, the weekend’s over...yay. I don’t really know where to start today. There is such a struggle going on inside of me right now. Yesterday, I went to Catherine’s to get some new work pants, because two pair of mine have holes in them. I found some that I thought I’d like and tried on a size larger than I used to wear, but the same size as my denim capris I’ve worn all summer. Too small...TOO...SMALL. A size 30 was too small. I finally found the kind I wear now in the size I wear (4X). But, I was mad. Mad that I’m not 240 lbs anymore. Mad that I can’t wear cute clothes. Mad that I let myself get back into this condition. Mad that I went to the extreme of gastric bypass surgery, and I failed at that, just like every other program I’ve ever used to lose weight. I didn’t fail at the programs and WLS. I failed at sticking with it. I failed at having some self control. I failed at not giving in to my self-centered, instant gratification loving self. Yes, I’m beating myself up, but it’s necessary. I need to focus on my health and being here for the long haul to the best of my ability. I’ve never been one to give everything my all, I’m lazy. I like doing the least amount possible to get approval. I quit college for a while. I quit classes (several of them), took incompletes and never finished them. I’ve left loose ends at work in the past. I start books and never finish them. I start sewing projects and never finish them. *Time-Out: I DID finish all of our wedding planning, and it turned out great.* I’ve started diet programs and quit. I’ve undergone WLS and quit doing what I was supposed to in order to lose weight and keep it off. I see a pattern here. This makes me feel really bad about myself, but I’m changing that TODAY, right NOW. No more excuses, no more giving in to my demons. I need to be accountable to someone, someone tough but loving, and not get mad at them when all they’re trying to do is what I asked them to do - kick my ass when needed. I ate cheddar rounds today...why? I had 2% cheese and multigrain crackers here at work. Because I wanted them. I wanted to do what wasn’t allowed. I wanted satisfaction and instant gratification. That’s why I did the WLS. That was “way quicker than usual” gratification with my body.
Steven loves me, I know he does, but doesn’t he deserve to have a knock-out wife? Don’t we deserve normalcy, the same things others enjoy? It’s not his fault, and it’s not my fault. It’s just the facts of being an overweight couple. I want to be able to go on roller coasters with him. I want to go swimming with his family and not be embarrassed. I want to walk into a store and know that if people look at me, it’s not because I’m huge. I want to look at pictures of myself and not think, “OMG, look at your arms!” or “Look at your size!” I want to eat in a restaurant and not dread sitting in a booth. I think I’ve almost become numb to these things, but I remember, when I’d lost down to my smallest with WLS, I could fold one leg under me and sit in a booth. I want that back! I want to be able to buy pants and skirts off the rack at Wal-Mart. I want to feel pretty, cute and young, like I used to. God and my surgeon gave me the gift of being able to feel all these things, and I just threw it back. I came through with flying colors and lost like crazy. What a waste. I’m 32 and healthy, but this is going to catch up with me if I don’t do something now. I’m almost in tears, and if I weren’t at work, I would be in tears.
I went to a gym today and checked on membership with one that has a pool and offers water aerobics. We used to go through the city’s adult ed program, but it’s been phased out. They offer free tanning with a 3-year membership, woohoo! It brings back bad memories, because this was a point of contention between Jeff and I. I felt like he was bossing me around to go and felt like it hung over my head that he was paying for it, and I had to go. But, I think it will be different with Steven. I think us going together and doing water aerobics (which I actually enjoy), and him not pushing me and pushing me to do more, like what I did wasn’t enough, will be much better. We really can’t afford it, but we have to do this.
Monday, September 15, 2008
A change would do you good...
Posted by Char at 1:56 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
Wow, Charlene, you may not realize it but this journal really put things in perspective for me. First of all, I love you so much and I have always thought you are one of the most beautiful people I have ever known. You know I have told you that but it is has been a long time since I said it. I feel SO guilty for missing your wedding...the biggest moment of your life. I would have been there if my body would alow it.
Second, I never noticed the similarities we have until you spelled it out in this post. I don't finish anything anymore. You just wouldn't believe the changes I have been through such as this. I can't think straight, I start tons of things and don't finish them and I have gained an ungodly amount of weight in the last five years. I really understand the frustration you feel.
Lastly, I'm so glad you realize how much Stephen loves you and what a blessing that is. When you feel your worst, always remember that there is nothing greater in the world than to be loved. Nothing else matters if you don't have that.
Oh, and btw, what is happening with your mom? I'll be praying for her swift recovery. Hope all is well. Love ya!
Post a Comment